Speak openly to one of our experts on 03330 069 187

Your A Level results are a disappointment — is there anything you can do about it?

Your A Level results are a disappointment — is there anything you can do about it?

It's that time of year again when hundreds of thousands of anxious teenagers receive their A Level results and for those that didn't quite get the grades they hoped for, it can be a time of terrible stress.

If you are one of those unfortunate enough not to have achieved the grades you required, the plans you had for the career you were hoping to pursue may feel as though they are placed in serious jeopardy. If you intend to make the transition into higher education, your results could determine whether or not you're able to attend your preferred university. If you never intended to continue with your studies, they could make a difference to the kind of job that's now available to you. However, you still have options; the first important step is to speak with your subject teacher and/or the exams office staff at your School/College on results day which is Thursday 17 August 2017.

How to challenge your A Level results

If you have reason to believe that your performance in your exams was adversely affected by external circumstances you may be eligible to seek redress through the Special Consideration process. The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) is a membership organisation that represents the seven largest national awarding bodies offering qualifications in the UK. 

JCQ defines Special Consideration to be a post-examination adjustment to your mark/grade which reflects temporary illness/injury or some other event outside of your control at the time of the assessment, which has had, or is reasonably likely to have had, a material effect on your ability to take an assessment or demonstrate your normal level of attainment in an assessment.

Once results have been published applications will only be accepted in the most exceptional circumstances. There are strict deadlines to adhere to and you should contact your School/College immediately.

The School/College, in its capacity as an Examination Centre, can submit enquiries about results and there are strict deadlines. Examples of the available enquiries are:

  • a clerical check (this includes check that all parts of the script have been marked; the totalling of marks; the recording of marks);
  • moderation check (this reviews the original moderation to ensure that the assessment criteria have been fairly, reliably and consistently applied)
  • a review of the marking

Other possibilities

In some cases, there may be options to undertake re-sits. It's also possible that your university may agree to defer your place till the following year. If you don’t get a place on your chosen university course and you want to apply for a different course through the Clearing process you can consult with the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).

Whichever way you decide to proceed, Match Solicitors have a specialist team of education lawyers on hand to assist you in precisely this kind of situation. So, if your results were disappointing and you're in two minds as to what to do about it, why not give us a call?


All testimonials


the service I received from yourselves - and consistency - is the best I have experienced in dealing with any solicitors.

Miss E Field, London

I wouldn’t hesitate to use your firm again in the future, and will also happily recommend you to others requiring help.

Mrs Shaistah Siddiq-Zeidan, Exeter

The service received from Match Solicitors was faultless; highly professional and efficient. The advice received was extremely sound and sensible. The service was fairly priced.

Mr Moore, Kent